The earliest law firms in Singapore were established around 1870s by European lawyers. The first legal firm to have an Asian name was Chan & Swee Teow which was founded by the late Chan Sze Jin and the late Wee Swee Teow in 1911. The partnership lasted a year before they went their separate ways and the late Wee Swee Teow thereafter set up Wee Swee Teow & Co in 1912.
The late Wee Swee Teow was a prominent citizen of his time. He was educated at Cambridge University and was one of the most notable and outstanding Asian Lawyers in that era. He also served for several years as a member of the Legislative Council during the British Colonial administration.
On the late Wee Swee Teow's death, the firm was managed by his erudite son the late Wee Eng Lock. The late Wee Eng Lock was perhaps one of the most distinguished conveyancers of his time.
It was during the late Wee Eng Lock’s tenure as senior partner that the late Wee Chong Jin joined the firm as a partner. He practised law with Wee Swee Teow & Co from 1940 to 1957. The late Wee Chong Jin left the firm to be a Judge of the Supreme Court of Singapore. He was the first Asian lawyer to be appointed to the position of a judge at the Supreme Court of Singapore and subsequently became the first Asian Chief Justice of Singapore.
In 1989 the firm merged with Oehlers & Choa - another well-known firm which was founded by the late Sir George Oehlers and the late Eric Choa. The late Sir George Oehlers left Oehlers & Choa in 1959 to become the first Speaker of the Singapore Parliament. The late Eric Choa who was a leading chancery lawyer retired as a Consultant of the firm in 1998.
The firm takes pride in its long history. It is in fact the oldest home-grown
law firm in Singapore and had celebrated its 100th year of existence in 2012.
On 1 March 2017, Wee Swee Teow & Co was converted to a limited liability partnership and is now known as Wee Swee Teow LLP.