Qualifications & Professional/Academic History
- LL.B. (Hons), University of Singapore (1967)
- LLM, University of Singapore (1969)
- Admitted as Advocate and Solictor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (1970)
- Magistrate of the Subordinate Courts (1967 - 1971)
- Appointed as Senior Counsel (1997)
- Awarded The C C Tan Award (2006)
Mr Giam Chin Toon S.C. has over 40 years of experience. He acted as Counsel in numerous major cases in court proceedings and before arbitral tribunals. He specialises in commercial cases, in particular, building and construction, banking, property and corporate disputes. He is also actively involved in arbitration, mediation and alternative dispute resolution and has served as arbitrator in many arbitrations both domestic and international.
Mr Giam has been recognised as an Expert in Commercial Arbitration in Singapore (in "Experts in Commercial Arbitration (2009)" by http://www.expertguides.com). He has acted for numerous Singapore and international clients in arbitration proceedings involving building, infrastructure and engineering projects in Singapore and the Asia-Pacific region.
Mr Giam was among the first group of lawyers to be appointed as Senior Counsel in 1997. He continues to be a leading lawyer in many areas of the law.
Mr Giam is a former President of the Law Society of Singapore. He has previously served as Chairman of the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme. Mr. Giam has also played a key role in developing The Law Society's first pro bono scheme - the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme. He was formerly the Chairman of the Inquiry Panel of the Law Society, Chairman of the Rules & Etiquette Committee of the Law Society, as well as the Chairman of the Sub-Committee on the Review of Arbitration Laws in Singapore. He is currently a Director in the Board of the Singapore Mediation Centre and a Member of the Senate of the Academy of Law. Mr Giam also sits as a director of several private and public-listed companies. Currently, Mr Giam serves as Singapore's non-resident Ambassador to the Republic of Peru.
The C C Tan Award is presented by the Law Society to honour a member who exemplifies the virtues of the legal profession - honesty, fair play and personal integrity. In November 2006, Mr Giam was presented with the award.
- President of the Law Society of Singapore (1987 - 1989)
- Chairman of the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme and the Rules & Etiquette Committee (1992 - 1999)
- Member of the Board of Legal Education (1981 - 2008)
- Member of the Governing Council of the Singapore Institute of Directors (1998 - 2009)
- Chairman of the Inquiry Panel of the Law Society (1999 - 2009)
- Member of the panel of accredited arbitrators of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- Member of the Hawaii Panel of the Center for International Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Member of the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board
- Chairman of the Sub-Committee on the Review of Arbitration Laws in Singapore.
- Member of the Senate of the Academy of Law
- Director in the Board of the Singapore Mediation Centre
- Director of several private and public listed companies
- Singapore's non-resident Ambassador to the Republic of Peru