Qualifications & Professional / Academic History
- BA (Hons), Oxford University (1997)
- Grad. Dip. Sing. Law, National University of Singapore (1998)
- Admitted as Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (1999)
Choon Wai has been practising general civil litigation covering both commercial and civil disputes since joining practice. She represents clients both in court and arbitration proceedings. She has acted for clients in a wide array of cases, including:
Choon Wai has more than 17 years of experience as a practising lawyer in Singapore. She obtained her law degree from the University of Oxford and joined practice and the firm in 1999.
- Construction and renovation disputes: acting for homeowners, developers, main contractors and subcontractors in both court and arbitration proceedings as well as mediation, to resolve defective works, delay claims, damage to property and interfloor water seepage (including Strata Title Board applications).
- Property: acting for shopowners, homeowners, mall owners and tenants in landlord and tenant disputes, assisting clients to apply for the removal of caveats over their property, and acting for clients in actions involving trusts over property.
- Others: shareholders' disputes, companies winding-up, defamation, action for accounts in partnership disputes, inheritance disputes, personal injury etc.
Choon Wai is also experienced in matrimonial and divorce cases, covering the drafting of Deed of Separation, representing clients in divorce and ancillary matter proceedings, and various applications such as to vary order, for maintenance, and for personal protection orders.
For individual clients, she handles their private and personal matters such as drafting of their Will, Power of Attorney, Statutory Declaration, Deed Poll, writing letters of appeal in relation to immigration and tax matters, drafting and advising on tenancy agreements, property agent agreements etc.
For families, she handles their Probate and Administration applications after the death of a loved one, as well as court applications for an order of sale in relation to estate property, and the drafting of the Deed of Family Arrangements in respect of inheritances. She also assists families in their applications under the Mental Capacity Act for the appointment of the Deputy to take care of the welfare and assets of a mentally incapacitated family member.
Apart from litigation, Choon Wai is legal counsel to corporations such as companies, MCSTs and country clubs advising them on their general legal matters, including writing legal opinions, drafting and vetting of various agreements such as manufacturing and supply agreements, supplier agreements, non-disclosure and non-competition agreements, employment agreements, catering contracts, services contracts, IT services contracts, equipment lease agreements, invitation to tender documents, letter of undertaking, sale and purchase of share agreements, subcontracts for supply of goods/services, joint venture agreements, advising on issues relating to club constitution and general meetings etc.
- A number of cases which Choon Wai handled were featured in the newspapers. Such cases include the following.
- In Realstar Property Pte Ltd v Wong Seng Chak and Another  SGMA 24, Choon Wai successfully acted for and defended the sellers against a claim by the real estate agency for commission in respect of the sale of the sellers’ property. (See New Paper, 20 November 2006, Singapore Property News! Tuesday November 21, 2006)
- Choon Wai assisted in successfully defending a couple against a claim by the couple’s sister-law for the sale proceeds of a property at Nassim Road amounting to S$11.5 million in Ang Meng Lee v Ng Siam Khui and Another  SGHC 223 (See Lianhe Zaobao, 4 December 2008)
- Choon Wai represented the Singapore Athletic Association and assisted in successfully defending the association against claims by a china-born athlete who alleged that SAA had made promises which they did not fulfil. (See Straits Times, 15 October 2010)
Reported & Unreported Judgments
- Tai Kim San and another v Lim Cher Kia  3 SLR (R) 892
- Luzon Hydro Corp v Transfield Philippines Inc  4 SLR (R) 705
- Realstar Property Pte Ltd v Wong Seng Chak and Another  SGMA 24
- Mak Kah Leong v 3E Interior & Associates Pte Ltd  SGDC 36
- Ang Meng Lee v Ng Siam Khui and Another  SGHC 223
- Ng Siam Khui and another v Ang Meng Lee  SGHC 103
- Segar Ashok v Koh Fonn Lyn Veronica and another suit  SGHC 168
- AXW v AXX  SGHC 121
- Cai Xiao Mei v Zhang Shaoji  SGDC 12
- Chua Siew Siew v Liang See Hing  SGHC 216
- Lin Choo Mee v Tat Leong Development (Pte) Ltd & Others  SGHC 99
Memberships / Appointments / Directorships
- Member of the Law Society of Singapore
- Member of the Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Ladies Soccer Team, Law Society of Singapore
- Board member, St Margaret Ex-Students’ Association