Qualifications & Professional/Academic History
- LL.B. (Hons), University of Singapore (1967)
- LLM, University of Singapore (1969)
- Admitted as Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (1970)
- Magistrate of the Subordinate Courts (1967 – 1971)
- Appointed as Senior Counsel (1997)
- Recipient of the C C Tan Award (2006)
Areas of Practice
- Banking and finance disputes
- Building and construction law
- Contractual and corporate disputes
- Equity and Trusts
- Property Law
Mr Giam Chin Toon S.C. has over 40 years of experience. He acted as Counsel in numerous major cases in court proceedings and before arbitral tribunals. He specialises in commercial cases, in particular, building and construction, banking, property and corporate disputes. He is also actively involved in arbitration, mediation and alternative dispute resolution and has served as arbitrator in many arbitrations both domestic and international.
Mr Giam was among the first group of lawyers to be appointed as Senior Counsel in 1997. He continues to be a leading lawyer in many areas of the law.
Mr Giam has been recognised as an Expert in Commercial Arbitration in Singapore (in “Experts in Commercial Arbitration (2009)” by http://www.expertguides.com). He has acted for numerous Singapore and international clients in arbitration proceedings involving building, infrastructure and engineering projects in Singapore and the Asia-Pacific region.
Mr Giam is a former President of the Law Society of Singapore. He has previously served as Chairman of the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme. Mr. Giam has also played a key role in developing The Law Society’s first pro bono scheme – the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme. He was formerly the Chairman of the Inquiry Panel of the Law Society, Chairman of the Rules & Etiquette Committee of the Law Society, as well as the Chairman of the Sub-Committee on the Review of Arbitration Laws in Singapore. He is currently a Director in the Board of the Singapore Mediation Centre and a Member of the Senate of the Academy of Law. Mr Giam also sits as a director of several private and public-listed companies. Currently, Mr Giam serves as Singapore’s non-resident Ambassador to the Republic of Peru.
In 2006, Mr Giam was conferred the prestigious CC Tan Award, which is conferred by the
Law Society of Singapore in recognition and honour of members of the Singapore Bar who have displayed the highest ideals of the profession – honesty, fair play, courtesy and personal integrity.
- Member of Board of Legal Education (1981 – to date)
- Member of Military Court of Appeal (1984 – 1997)
- President of the Law Society of Singapore (1987 – 1989)
- Member of the Senate of the Singapore Academy of Law (1988 – to date)
- Chairman of Working Committee on the Revision of Laws relating to Arbitration in Singapore (1991-1992)
- Legal Assessor to the Singapore Medical Council (1991 – 2012)
- Member of Panel of Accredited Arbitrators of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (1991 – to date)
- Chairman of Criminal Legal Aid Scheme of the Law Society of Singapore (1992 – 1999)
- Member of Hawaii Panel of Centre for International Commercial Dispute Resolution (1992 – to date)
- Chairman of Ethics Committee (1995 – 1998)
- Member of Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (1996 – to date)
- Appointed Senior Counsel (1997)
- Panel member of Singapore Mediation Centre (1997 – to date)
- Member of Governing Council of Singapore Institute of Directors (1998 – 2009)
- Chairman of Inquiry Panel of the Law Society of Singapore (1999 – 2009)
- Non-Resident Ambassador to the Republic of Peru (2000 – Present)