Lee Soo Chye
Experience, Specialisation and Highlights
Mr Lee Soo Chye was called to the Singapore Bar in 1990.
Soo Chye serves both corporate (ranging from start-ups, small medium enterprises, listed companies and financial institutions to various statutory brands) and individual clients. He advises clients in a whole range of commercial and real estate, and succession related transactions. Such transactions include:
- Joint venture agreements (involving both local and overseas assets and parties).
- Merger and acquisitions involving real estate, intellectual properties, companies and corporations;
- Protection of assets of businesses, including intellectual properties like trademarks, registered design and patents;
- Data protection;
- Debt and corporate restructuring;
- Advising on legal requirements in the areas of crypto-assets, in particular the Payment Services Act and the Securities Futures Act;
- Advising on the structures of for fund management business, including the variable capital company structure;
- Collective sales of residential, commercial and mixed sites, (some of which represent huge quantum ranging in the hundreds of millions and higher)
- Real estate acquisition of land by developers
- Real estate development involving both residential and commercial sites;
- Real estate structuring involving subdivision of land to maintain perpetuity of ownership of the landowner;
- Real estate master leases for commercial buildings;
- Structuring of family arrangements, which involves the setting up of vehicles to protect the families’ businesses and wealth to ensure continuity and smooth transition of wealth and businesses to the next generations; and
- Tax structuring, working in conjunction with accounting counterparts locally and overseas, particularly as businesses expand their markets beyond the Singapore shores.
Soo Chye is passionate about working with clients as they navigate the constantly changing business landscape particularly brought about by the break-neck speed at which technology advances and harness the opportunities to re-invent and refresh their businesses and expand into new markets beyond physical territorial boundaries. . To do this effectively often involves paradigm shifts for the businesses and Soo Chye shares his experience with clients in this regard in providing enduring solutions to issues.
As can be noted above, many of the types of transactions listed above involve cross border legal and taxation issues. In this regard, Soo Chye has through the years, has established a set of close working relationships with counterparts in the ASEAN, Australia, Greater China, India, Europe and the United States to deliver the holistic solutions for clients. He also constantly seeks to keep himself abreast of key trends and developments in business as these developments can provide numerous opportunities for the firm and clients.
Soo Chye also serves various non-profit and welfare organisations, both as a board member and legal advisor. He is proficient in Mandarin, Teochew and other Chinese dialects.
- Contributor to “Doing Business in Singapore” published on Practical Law (2019-2020).
- Contributor to “Data protection in Singapore” published on Practical Law (2019-2020).
- Contributor to the Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC) Personal Data Protection Digest (2019-2020).
- Contributor to “Privacy in Singapore” published on Practical Law (2019-2020).
- Contributor to the Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC) Personal Data Protection Digest (2020-2021).
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Qualifications And Appointments
- LL.B. (Hon), National University of Singapore (1989)
- MTax, (SUSS) (2017)
- Admitted as Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (1990)
- Notary Public, Singapore