Experience, specialisation and highlights
Monique is a legal associate with the Dispute Resolution Practice of the firm.
Her practice primarily lies in commercial litigation and arbitration, specifically in the areas of energy and commodities.
She has acted for major commodity traders on a wide range of complex disputes, including disputes relating to physical commodities contracts and trade finance.
Including her experience from previous firms, Monique has acted for clients in all levels of the Singapore Courts, including the Court of Appeal and Singapore International Commercial Court (SICC). She has also acted for clients in international arbitration proceedings at the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC).
In her practice, she has:
- Acted for oil and gas exploration and production company against a major Chinese state-owned oil company in a setting aside application of an SIAC arbitration award with disputed sum in excess of US$35 million
- Acted in trade finance dispute before SICC for Japanese subsidiary of Indonesian state-owned oil company against major international bank, with claim sum in excess of US$23 million
- Acted for Chinese mining company in SIAC arbitration against global Big 5 commodities trading house relating to sale and purchase of Light Cycle Oil, with dispute sum in excess of US$3.8 million
- Acted for Chinese mining company in SIAC jurisdictional challenge against regional oil trading company relating to disputes arising from sale and purchase of Light Cycle Oil
- Acted for established Taiwan petrochemical trader against a major global oil company in appeal before the Court of Appeal, for setting aside arbitral award relating to a sale and purchase dispute
- Acted in solar power construction dispute with claim sum in excess of US$3 million
- Assisted lead counsel in a S$5.1 million, precedent-setting civil lawsuit, to obtain judgment and costs in favour of client: Goh Yng Yng Karen (executrix of the estate of Liew Khoon Fong (alias Liew Fong), deceased) v Goh Yong Chiang Kelvin  SGHC 195
- Assisted lead counsel in an RMB$5.2 million SIAC international construction arbitration to obtain judgment and costs in favour of client