Experience, specialisation and highlights
Monique is an associate with the Dispute Resolution Practice of the firm. Her practice primarily lies in commercial litigation and arbitration, specifically in the areas of energy and commodities.
Monique has acted on a wide range of complex disputes, including disputes relating to physical commodities contracts and trade finance for major commodity traders. She also has experience in setting aside arbitral awards in the Singapore Courts.
Monique has acted for clients at all levels of the Singapore Courts, including the Court of Appeal and Singapore International Commercial Court (SICC). She is also experienced in Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) international arbitration proceedings.
Monique’s experience includes the following:
- Acted for oil and gas exploration and production company against a major Chinese state-owned oil company in a setting aside application of an SIAC arbitration award with disputed sum in excess of US$35 million.
- Acted for the Japanese subsidiary of Pertamina in a trade finance dispute in excess of US$23 million against a major international bank in the SICC: Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank, Singapore Branch v PPT Trading Energy Co Ltd  SGHC(I) 1. Also resisted appeal in the Court of Appeal.
- Acted for Chinese mining company against a Big 5 global commodities trading house and regional petrochemical trading company in 2 SIAC trade finance arbitrations pertaining to sale and purchase of Light Cycle Oil, with total disputed sum in excess of US$7 million.
- Acted for established Taiwan petrochemical trader against a major global oil company in the Court of Appeal, for setting aside arbitral award relating to Gasoil sale and purchase dispute in excess of US$6 million.
- Acted for Fortune 100 Enterprise in solar power construction dispute against regional contractor in ICC arbitration with disputed sum in excess of US$4 million.
- Acted for international television show producer in High Court dispute relating to fraudulent trading of intellectual property assets.
- Acted in contested deputyship application with disputed sum in excess of S$11 million.
- Acted in contested divorce matter with disputed sum in excess of S$11 million.
- Advised global market leader’s Singapore subsidiary in dispute relating to sale and purchase of zinc against 2 Vietnamese companies, with potential claim sum in excess of US$2 million.
- Assisted lead counsel in S$5.1 million dispute relating to Powers of Attorney, Lasting Power of Attorney and mental capacity: Goh Yng Yng Karen (executrix of the estate of Liew Khoon Fong (alias Liew Fong), deceased) v Goh Yong Chiang Kelvin  SGHC 195.
- Assisted lead counsel in RMB$5.2 million SIAC international construction arbitration.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Civil and commercial dispute resolution
- International commercial arbitration
- Renewable energy
- Oil and Gas
- Private equity
Qualifications And Appointments
- LL.B. (Hons), University of Leeds (2017)
- Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (2020)
- Panel of Solicitors, Singapore Legal Aid Bureau